Innovation focus and new services:
Micro-hubs networks and light EDVs – PI last mile deliveries
Context and challenges:
The City of Bologna, and its Metropolitan area, approved a SUMP and SULP (Sustainable Urban Logistics Plan). At the City level, urban logistics activities deal with distributive flows, parcel, e-commerce, and at Metropolitan level they include the industrial areas, logistics nodes, large and small agglomerations, and critical infrastructures. URBANE will support the SULP measures in regards to Nearby Delivery Area (NDAs) and the use of intermodal (passenger) nodes reducing impacts of freight deliveries. The goals include the reduction of CO2 emissions, logistics sprawl and congestion, and the optimization and concentration of logistics areas.
Objectives and ambitions:
- Develop new business model for setup and operation of sustainable micro-logistics hubs network (NDA as in the SULP), combined with innovative delivery methods (i.e., cargo-bike / light EDVs).
- Introduction of Physical Internet models in urban freight deliveries
- Develop a Digital Twin of the micro-logistics hubs network, fed with real time data, used for planning and implementing urban freight-related measures.
- Explore the requirements for introducing ADVs/drones for the movement of goods.
- Study the aspects related to GDPR, safety and risk mitigation of cargo-bikes riders
- Coverage of the LTZ & historical center
- Unattended and automated management
- Test new delivery modes
- Open-multi-operator concept